Where family, friends, and strangers can come to follow the life of a soldier as he tours the globe.

4.23.2007

27 Days and counting. . .

That's right -- just under a month left here in Maryland. Of course, I come right back to the East Coast for Iraq training about a week after that, but at least I will get home for a little while.
This weekend was pretty stinking good. I had a four-day weekend, which allowed me to do some sightseeing and enjoy the weather. A friend of mine came to Baltimore for some Army training, so on her day off we did a little sight seeing in the Baltimore area. We went to Fort McHenry, where the Star Spangled Banner was written during the War of 1812. It was very cool to see that part of history. Turns out that the following day there was a Civil War camp out there, with a live fire of muskets and cannons.

I also got back to the Capital. I got to see the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, and the Vietnam wall. I took somewhere around 400 pictures, so I will just put a bunch of pics up to show some of my weekend.
Tomorrow starts the beginning of my last 4 weeks here, and I am stoked to get it going. I am ready to be back home, if even for a little while. Enjoy the pics.

Me at the Washington Monument. If you haven't seen it, go there. It is huge.



Cannons at Fort McHenry looking toward the Chesapeake where the Brits attacked.
The Oregon pedestal at the World War II Memorial.
I really wish that this were still true. . .
The Lincoln Memorial. Another one of the must-see places for all Americans. Awe inspiring.
Statue at the Vietnam memorial. The detail is amazing.
The Vietnam wall. It was a somber and powerful place. I only heard about three people say anything as they passed the wall. You could feel the power and respect.
Cannon firing demonstration at Fort McHenry for the Civil War camp out.
Behind me at that bridge is where the Brits bombarded from. That is the Francis Scott Key bridge.

I got thrown into the brig at McHenry. Sgt. Trinna busted me out.

The Baltimore (foreground) and the USS Constellation docked at Baltimore Inner Harbor.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome pics! This country is so rich in history, so much of it forgotten or not even seen by the majority of citizens. Glad you get to experience it. It will put into perspective why you will be doing what you are destined for. We can't wait to see you again, be it only for a short time, but so necessary for us all, as I know it will be for you. We're so proud of what you are doing. Counting the days, too! Love you!

23 April, 2007 07:14

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,

Great pictures. Your Mom is right.
You have seen places that everyone should see -- and felt the importance of it all.

Your cookies and Dad's book are on their way. I sent them Thurs. Maybe they arrived Saturday?? I hope the cookies still taste fresh!

See you soon.
Marea and Mike

23 April, 2007 07:38

 
Blogger A said...

Great pics, I'm jealous you get to check out all that history up close and personal. I had forgotten they had Rev War ships still anchored there to check out.

See you when you get back!

23 April, 2007 18:15

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post - keep up the good work, you are in the home stretch!

And as for the WA monument, that's what she said.

+Steve

23 April, 2007 20:49

 

Post a Comment

<< Home