Where family, friends, and strangers can come to follow the life of a soldier as he tours the globe.

5.15.2007

Light at the end of the tunnel. . .

Well folks, four more days and I will be home! I have managed to pass my classes and I will graduate from here on Friday. It has been a long, difficult and amazing time here. I have made several friends that I am sure I will be friends for many many years to come. I have suffered through copious amounts of B.S., and shared some of the most amazing experiences with one person who has made an enormous impact on my life forever.

I will return to Oregon for a few short days before shipping off again to prepare for war. To say that I am not scared would be a lie. I am sure that God will see me through this next year, and I will return home to my loved ones.

We are currently in our "Final Cut," which is where the entire class produces a 36-page newspaper. We were divided into teams of sports, news, features, editors, and photo. I was lucky enough to make it to the photo team. It is a super enjoyable assignment, and I am glad I was one of the lucky six to get picked for it.

Here is a picture taken by one of the other photogs of me running my PT test Saturday. Although I did not pass, I was able to cut 2 minutes, 6 seconds off my 2-mile run, in just three weeks. I ran the 2 miles in 17:34. Not the fastest time I have run in my career, but 56 days ago, I couldn't run even a half mile without falling out of a run. I lost 25 pounds officially, and plan on losing another 30-40 before I get back from Iraq.

This is a picture of Ajay and I during our last weekend together. I will miss her terribly, and think of her often. Never in my life have I met someone as special as she is. I am pretty sure I will see her at some point downrange in Iraq though, so it isn't all that bad.

For my friends and family back home, I will see you Saturday! God bless, and please keep reading!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Heck yeah we'll keep reading! Congratulations on passing. You look really happy in the photo with Ajay. Can't wait to see you Saturday!

Love you,
Yer Seestor

15 May, 2007 08:00

 
Blogger Tim said...

Hottie. Ajay too.

I'd like to hang out before you take off.

15 May, 2007 08:17

 
Blogger A said...

Dude, do you know when you'll arrive yet? Let us know!

17 May, 2007 03:36

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erik I hope all is going well and have a great day today at your graduation. I have Friday and Saturday off so maybe we can hang out and do something before you have to take off. Best wishes.

The "DOC"
aka Spc Velasquez

17 May, 2007 18:07

 
Blogger Tim said...

I just heard somewhere that military have to have their blogs/emails checked by their superior officer before they can post/send them. Is it true?

20 May, 2007 00:41

 

Post a Comment

<< Home