Where family, friends, and strangers can come to follow the life of a soldier as he tours the globe.

6.11.2007

Update

Well, I'm here. Fort Dix. Sorry I haven't posted lately -- I have had the time, but not the energy. The training is good, but tough. The weather is anything but friendly -- often near 100 with a high 80% humidity. Obviously I can't talk in any detail about what we are doing here, but we are doing some cool training. We did reflexive fire with the M-4's, and unarmed combatives. Tomorrow I get to go shoot .50 caliber machine guns.

We got issued all of our equipment, and my gear including body armor and technical equipment for photojournalism weighs in the neighborhood of 105 pounds. I really wouldn't care if the body armor weighed 400 pounds as long as it did its job when it needed to. Let's all hope that it never needs to.

Supposedly we are going to have a 4 day pass at the end of this, before we leave for the suck (Iraq.) Unfortunately, it is not really economical for me to try to fly back to Oregon. The good news is, Ajay is stationed at Dover for a while, and I will be able to go hang out with her for a few days before leaving. That should make my whole deployment, at least until mid-tour leave, bearable.

Anyway, I need sleep now, so please keep reading. Keep us soldiers in your prayers, and hope this thing ends soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, Mooby! I'm really proud to hear that you've been doing so well and although I know how much Ft. Dix can suck, know that you're in our thoughts and prayers. Watch your 6 over there and keep the blogs coming!

11 June, 2007 06:44

 
Blogger A said...

105 pounds of gear? What happened to the days of Al Franken's 1.21mm head-mounted dish antenna? He would have dreamed of 105 pounds of gear. Of course, being a liberal, he probably didn't also have to carry an M16 and 500 rounds of ammo. And if he ever did go to Iraq, it'd probably be in the cool foyer of Ahmadinejad's summer home, being a guest of the enemy and all.

Have fun withe the .50's today!

11 June, 2007 17:51

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,

It was so good to see you when you were home! It's great to get a new up-date. Stay safe. You're in our thoughts and prayers, too.

Marea and Mike

14 June, 2007 08:34

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, Eric.....we are ready for you to come home :) Seriously we are. I hope that you are hanging in there. Just a side note...we just watched the Beavers win their second championship!!!! Miss You Eric!!!! The BLR is really missing us!!!

25 June, 2007 06:39

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read the entire blog! Love your pictures of DC and Fort McHenry - everyone should see them!

Will look forward to your future posts!

29 June, 2007 10:55

 

Post a Comment

<< Home